Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Should You Be Listening To Billy Jones?

In 2007 I ran a write-in campaign for Mayor of Greensboro against Milton Kern and Yvonne Johnson because of one issue and one issue only. Ms Yvonne and Uncle Milton were both denying that Greensboro had a gang problem and I had 200 members of the Bloods Gang across the street from my house. Now if that's not a gang problem then I don't know what is. If you read the link you'll notice Robme Perkins followed my lead only after I made the case.

How did I know they were Bloods and not some other gang? I once made the mistake of taking a job transfer to work out of a terminal in Compton, California. 'Nuff said.

The media and local politicians along with most of the local bloggers said I was crazy, that I didn't know what I was talking about, that I was blowing things out of proportion. Then Joe Killian of the News & Record wrote:

"* There aren't as many Greensboro gang members as you think. There are more.

* There aren't as many Greensboro gang members as the police have validated. There are more."


Next week, trials begin for the Latin Kings.

I told you so, Greensboro. My track record is beyond reproach. Robme, not so much.

Full disclosure: Detective Ernest Cuthbertson grew up with and went to school with my younger brothers here in East Greensboro. At least, I think that's who that goofy kid was. I can't say for sure as I've not seen him since he was about 13.

I'll never run for political office again. Besides being a conflict of interest with my job as a Tyrannicide, becoming an elected official would make me obligated to those who wrote me the biggest campaign contributions. You can say what you want about public service but until we figure out a way to blind campaign contributions, elected officials will always have that conflict weighing on their decisions. Some will carry it better than others. Some will carry it straight to the bank. But if I always work from outside the system it's a problem I'm not likely to encounter.