Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Just Say No To Cambistat

Note: If you're not from Greensboro, North Carolina or you have no interest in local politics you might want to skip down to where you see the words, "Cambistat is not the answer" in bold type and begin there. Begin original article:

There are no easy solutions to saving Greensboro's trees. Greensboro Mayor Nancy Barakat Vaughan used the Duke Energy, Greensboro tree issue as a springboard last year to boost her popularity and help her win the election only to have it come back and bite her in the butt this year with the City of Greensboro's new tree rules failing to pass muster with the North Carolina State Utilities Commission and Mayor Vaughan is afraid to take the matter to court because she knew all along it wouldn't stand up as people like myself had warned her.

Neighborhoods where tree trimming was most restricted suffered the longest power outages during this winter's ice storms while neighborhoods like my own where we have just as many old trees but never put up a fuss, lost power for only seconds at a time.

Burying power lines under ground will require the trees be cut down to make room for the lines. Even if you don't cut down the trees, running a trencher, cable plow, earth saw, horizontal boring rig or back hoe through a tree's roots at a depth of 4' to 6' (required by code) will cause the tree to die leaving the homeowner stuck with the cost of removing the dead tree after Duke Energy has long finished burying the cable. And that's not taking into account the cost of underground installation that will get passed on to consumers. Wires are put on poles because it costs far less to install and maintain than underground installation. Yes, I said maintain as eventually even those underground wires must be replaced.

The fact is: as homeowners we bear part of the responsibility. If you don't want Duke Energy trimming your trees then do what my family has always done-- trim them yourselves. Or hire professionals to do it for you. Also, take a good hard look at where you plant your trees. Fact is: it simply isn't fair for those of us with trees along power lines to pass the cost of trimming those trees to Duke Energy customers who don't have trees along power lines but we do so anyway.

Yes, I know most of the people who are most angry bought houses with trees already planted. Neither you, I, the City nor Duke Energy can fix that after the fact. But seriously, if you're expecting Duke Energy to hire professional arborists to trim your trees...  Duke Energy is required by North Carolina state law to keep the electricity flowing to your home as much as possible. Given those parameters professional arborists could hardly do any better because the trees are planted in the wrong place.

You see, despite what you may or may not believe, the power lines were there first. Duke Energy does not place power lines over trees or buildings as State codes don't allow them to do so.

That said,  Cambistat is not the answer. For starters, Pine and Cedars, the kinds of trees that grow the fastest and are most susceptible to breaking under the weight of an ice storm, aren't even on the list of trees being treated.

I've searched the web and found lots of so called "professional tree services" saying great things about  Cambistat but all those "professional tree services" are in the business of treating trees for electric companies and therefore must be considered biased in their opinions.

Paclobutrazol, the active ingredient in Cambistat, about which almost nothing is proven, is sometimes used by Marijuana Growers in the later stages of growth to reduce stem and leaf growth and increase budding with the end result being pot that makes users sick. Any of you pot smokers ever get a headache or sick to your stomach from smoking really killer weed? Cambistat.

We don't yet know if Paclobutrazol causes developmental or reproductive issues, is a Endocrine disruptor or contaminates ground water but it is applied by injecting it into the ground near the trees they hope to treat.

I also found it interesting that Heartwood Tree Service, LLC left the following comment here:

"We have been responsibly using Cambistat on our clients properties for over a decade. Not only does it slow twig elongation, reducing the frequency Duke Energy needs to be in your yard pruning your trees, but it also induces positive physiological responses in the treated tree. These include; improved drought tolerance, greater fine root density, and an increase in a trees resistance to pests and diseases.

The product and application can sound scary out of context, but when applied correctly it can be good for trees."

But when I asked:

"But how will it affect my nearby herb and vegetable gardens?"

There was no reply. And I seriously doubt there will be because if they know the answers they don't dare tell them.

Please share this post with everyone you know, no matter where they live as this is a nationwide issue.

 Update: I posted the following to Heartwood Tree Service's Facebook page. Let's see how they respond:




Update 2: At the Facebook link above and in the comments below, a Mr Tom Prosser of Rainbow Tree Care has identified himself as being responsible for the application of Cambistat in Greensboro. I have e-mailed his company to ask for evidence that proves me wrong. In the meantime I found this link at the United States Environmental Protection Agency, Integrated Risk Information System where the following quotes were found:

"Elevated liver weights, serum cholesterol, hepatic aminopyrine N-demethylase activity, and alanine transaminase levels"

It's my understanding that was from a 90 day study on rats and quite honestly I don't really know what all of it means. Also this:

"This substance/agent has not undergone a complete evaluation and determination under US EPA's IRIS program for evidence of human carcinogenic potential."
And this:

"Drinking Water Health Advisories, EPA Regulatory Actions, and Supplementary Data were removed from IRIS on or before April 1997. IRIS users were directed to the appropriate EPA Program Offices for this information."

Why would information on Paclobutrazol's Drinking Water Health Advisories, EPA Regulatory Actions, and Supplementary Data be removed from a public data base? Who knows? So I went back to searching and found the following 2007 study from the EPA entitled Paclobutrazol Summary Document: Registration Review (PDF File) which included the following excerpt:




Houston, I think we have a problem.

 Update 3: In the comments below, Tom writes,

"Regarding your vegetable garden. Why would anyone apply this to their garden? It would not make the vegetables toxic. But would slow their growth down, increase their fibrous roots, increase the chlorophyll, and make more seeds or fruit in some cases."

Well for starters, Tom, my gardens are in very close proximity to my trees-- the same trees that Duke Energy wants your company, Rainbow Treecare to treat with this product. So slowing their growth would be a problem. As for increasing roots, chlorophyll, seeds and fruit I prefer to do that by more natural means as to not suffer the effects noted by the EPA in Update 2 above. Tom contradicts the 2007 EPA study.

Update 4: Thursday, April 10, 2014 Got an e-mail today from Tom Prosser at TreeCareScience.com:

"Bill,
To start with I am sending you some research citations and articles on tree health.   Since this is our area of work – this is what I have as most available.  Google them to locate.
Have you looked on Google scholar for nursery, agriculture, and other research?  There should be hundreds as the product is extensively used worldwide.
Have you called the Charlotte Poison control?
Also here are the names and phone numbers of some experts on this topic –
William Chaney- Professor Emeritus at Purdue – 269-673-3099
Gary Watson – Morton Arboretum - (630) 719-2415
Jeff Gillman- Central Piedmont Community College (North Carolina)       (704) 330-4826
Dan Herms- Ohio State University   (330) 202-3506
Ryan Blaedow- (509) 664-9215   Forest Health Protection Forest Pathologist at the Wenatchee Insect and Disease Service Center
Enrico Bonello- Ohio State University Scientist (614) 688-5401
Kevin Eckert- (808) 254-4161
Todd Watson- Arboriculture Educator, Scientist and Consultant (979) 218-0783

Bill – I do have a list of other research articles somewhere here that I could track down if you want more.

I can tell you are well read and articulate – so please do not hesitate to ask me and I will locate and send.
I hope this helps
Best Regards
Tom

 Tom Prosser
Rainbow Treecare Scientific
11571 K-Tel Drive
Minnetonka, MN 55343
Cell and Texting - 612-290-8948
email - tprosser@treecarescience.com

Web Sites
www.treecarescience.com
www.rainbowtreecare.com
www.thetreegeek.com

The information contained in this message may be privileged, confidential, and protected from disclosure. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you believe that you have received this message or any attachment in error, simply delete both from your system without reading or copying, and notify me -  sender by e-mail or by calling 612-290-8948. Thank you."


My reply:


"Tom, you seem to misunderstand, our biggest concerns are human health and when all we can find online is the following:

"Elevated liver weights, serum cholesterol, hepatic aminopyrine N-demethylase activity, and alanine transaminase levels"


and


"This substance/agent has not undergone a complete evaluation and determination under US EPA's IRIS program for evidence of human carcinogenic potential."


and


"Drinking Water Health Advisories, EPA Regulatory Actions, and Supplementary Data were removed from IRIS on or before April 1997. IRIS users were directed to the appropriate EPA Program Offices for this information."


from here: http://www.epa.gov/iris/subst/0182.htm

and  http://www.epa.gov/oppsrrd1/registration_review/paclobutrazol/paclobutrazol_summary.pdf
then people get very nervous very fast.

Now show us something that says it's healthy for humans and pets and explain to us why the EPA believes otherwise and I'll be happy to post links to that information online.
Thanks -Billy Jones"

As for calling  Charlotte Poison Control? I could just as easily call Greensboro Poison Control for the same information but it will be of little consequence. Poison Control is designed to deal with immediate threats and not long term exposures to chemicals for which there are no published long term studies available. (At least none that I have been able to locate.) As for Mr Prosser's experts above: I'm sure all of them come highly recommended to take care of your sick trees but if your child or pet gets sick I think you might want to go elsewhere.

Update 5; Also Tuesday. Tom replies:

"Ok I got it.

Please send me the sources of this info.  If you could send the whole document that would be great otherwise send me links or titles. 

You mentioned in your article that there was no research on this product. 

You also made a lot of other claims in your article/ blog  please provide sources for those.

We are are concerned that you are being paid by someone who prunes trees and does not want this technology introduced as it will hurt their business.  Much of what you say is not true in your blog. 

Please disclose this if this is true. 

You are far too articulate to have made so many errors in factual data in your blog. Plus it mimiced another blog that was written in blue DNC."

My reply:

"Tom, please see the blog post here: http://greensboroperformingarts.blogspot.com/2014/04/just-say-no-to-cambistat.html all the hyperlinks are there in the updates. Everything I cited can be found in those links. Most are to the United States EPA website.

Paid by someone? Seriously? I'm sure you'd like to discredit my efforts by making the claim that I'm being paid but that simply isn't the case. If you'll read other posts on my blog you will come to understand I am simply a citizen who is very involved in political issues here in Greensboro, North Carolina and since our newly elected Mayor used the tree issue to get herself elected this issue has exploded locally months before we ever heard of Cambistat. But go ahead and attempt to discredit me any way you wish.

You write that much of what I say is untrue but you neither cite what I say is untrue nor do you provide evidence to the contrary-- not a good way to win arguments that are being played out in public view.

You see surprised that I am articulate. I guess it would really surprise you to learn I have only a fake high school diploma. As to having mimicked a post at Blue DNC, I haven't read it but would love to, could you send me the link?

-Billy"

Interesting, a concerned citizen begins with a simple question,  "But how will it affect my nearby herb and vegetable gardens?" and when he pushes for an honest answer he is accused of being paid to discredit an entire industry. That, my friends, is Fascism at its finest.

Update 6: Friday, April 11, 2014 Last night I got another reply from Mr Prosser:

"OK Billy - give me a  little time to go through your stuff.  I believe you.   I think you are someone who sees themselves as protecting his fellow man and neighbor.  I can respect that attitude.

I am wondering though - why are you not waging cyber battle against common household items that are more toxic?  Items people are actually exposed to?  Versus this material that has virtually no chance of human contact?

This material is actually quite cool in what it does.  Read those research papers I sent you.  This will help the trees a lot.  Line clearance is like tree butchery.  This helps so that the trees injuries decay less, and it causes physiological reactions that make the treated tree healthier.  The energy that would have been used for growth gets converted to defense compounds (these are toxic to decay), more chlorophyll, fibrous roots, thicker leaves and more protective leaf trichomes.   Trees store more energy, have less decay, less deadwood, and less disease.

To have any toxic reactions someone will need to drink absorbanant amounts of this material. Gallons.  Why would anyone do that?  Would you drink Windex? Insecticides? mouthwash? rubbing alcohol?  I know that is rhetorical.

While I have not examined closely, I am almost certain that you are seeing the thresholds of consumption injuries and are not calculating the absorbanent amount of material it would take to cause that reaction or injury.

This stuff does not cause cancer"

Funny, just like the Greensboro politricksters I deal with on a daily basis, either they just don't get it or they are continuing to evade me. I ask a simple question because it is directly related to a hot button local political issue that helped to put a lackluster Mayor into office and while I've never before taken on anything other than local political issues, Mr Prosser is now suggesting I divert my attention to other items while making claims he still has yet to verify. Where is the evidence he cites?

I didn't reply this time and will simply wait and see what evidence he provides. I'm an organic gardener and don't want that stuff in the ground anywhere near my vegetable and herb gardens which are inter-dispersed with my trees. And I'm really not concerned with what Cambistat does to trees as I prune my own trees so that Duke Energy doesn't send some hatchet man out to butcher them. Just as my father did on this very same property before me.

 Update 7: Saturday, April 12, 2014 I found the following comment by Patrick George, Founder & owner of Heartwood Tree Service in the previously linked Facebook thread: If you click on the screen grab it displays full size.





Here's another guy in the business of applying Cambistat who is unable to answer my question. Ten years and they never bothered to find out. Yes, I'm becoming a jaded old man.

 Update 8: Monday, April 14, 2014 From today's Greensboro News & Record:

"Duke Energy has put on hold the use of a chemical that would retard tree growth in some Greensboro, Durham and Charlotte neighborhoods."

Did that have anything to do with this blog post? At this time I don't have an answer to that question nor am I calling it a victory as my simple question has yet to be answered.

 Update: 9 Also Monday. Well I finally found that BlueNC post on Cambistat that Mr Prosser claimed I mimicked. You can decide for yourself if I was mimicking.

Speaking of BlueNC, seems I've captured their attention as well in their post, More on the Cambistat tree treatment controversy:

"What Billy said. The days when a quick reassurance or the flashing of credentials (do arborists have credentials?) is enough to stop us from worrying about chemicals being injected into the ground are over. That might work with politicians, but it has the reverse effect on us troublemakers."

Also Lex Alexander chimes in:

"But remember: We simply don’t know what the effects of exposure to the chemical would be, whether pure or in the diluted form of an herbicide, whether short-term or long-term. On the other hand, with chemical toxicity, unlike in criminal trials, lack of evidence does not automatically equate to a not-guilty verdict."

Again, Cambistat might be perfectly safe but the fact remains, we just do not know. And when these same kinds of concerns came up in Montgomery, Alabama in 2010 the so called, "arborists" came rushing to its defense in blog threads with no facts as to health concerns. As a commenter named Cindy there says,

" Our environment doesn’t “Need” more chemicals. It needs less… If the problem is tall trees? The answer? Cut them down. If you still want a tree there… plant another… I LOVE the environment and tree’s. DO I want tree’s cut? No. But I do want my childrens children to be safe."

What happens when residual amounts of Cambistat mix with the next wonder drug for trees? What happens when the leaves of trees treated with Cambistat get composted and placed in the vegetable garden or on some organic vegetable farm miles away when a farmer picks up a free load of rotted leaves at the White Street Landfill here in Greensboro? Have these things been studied? Can they be studied? Or would things happen for which we will never know the cause?

Update: 10 September 28, 2018. In checking the website statistics I suddenly noticed that after 4 long years this post has suddenly begun to attract attention yet again so I thought I would let you know that to date, neither Mr Prosser nor Mr George ever got back to me with the answers they promised.