Sunday, April 13, 2014

Roy Carroll Agrees: Regional Is Killing Greensboro

I've been saying for years that the regional approach to economic development is killing Greensboro but no one listens to Billy Jones so now that regional is causing Billionaire Greensboro developer Roy Carroll to take a hit perhaps the Greensboro City Council will finally get over their apparent stupidity:

"Case in point was a recent plastics manufacturer that was looking in our community to build a plant. … The reason we were told was that the Mebane site has a railroad close by," Carroll wrote. "What amazes me is that I know of at least five sites that have a railroad, one of which I own.  To my knowledge, none of these — and I’m sure many other sites were not presented. In fact, I doubt that the people charged with presenting sites were even aware that these sites are controlled by people that would sell for industrial development."

That very same railroad that runs through Mebane, the North Carolina Railroad, runs right through lots of empty industrial sites right here in east Greensboro where unemployment is twice what it is in the rest of the city. And several of them already have rail sidings.

Why is the Greensboro City Council ignoring our city's greatest assets and perpetuating poverty when we have everything we need to turn our city around within our grasp?