Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Greensboro Censoring Public Information Requests?

Of late I've had the feeling that my public information requests to the City of Greensboro weren't all being answered but because I'm not especially great at keeping records I had no proof. Last night I submitted a PIRT request titled Installation via the City's PIRT Tracking System.

By the time I could get back to my inbox I had the following reply from the City:

"From:
Date: Mon, Aug 11, 2014 at 6:46 PM
Subject: PUBLIC INFORMATION REQUEST
To: RecycleBill@gmail.com


Your public record request for Installation has been referred to the proper department for response. Thank you for your request.

If you have any questions, please call 373-CITY (2489) or email the above email address and reference Installation along with your email address.
All public record requests and their updates can be viewed at www.greensboro-nc.gov/PIRT.

=======================================================
Please note that email sent to and from this address is subject
to the North Carolina Public Records Law and may be disclosed to third parties. "

In the past I've used the system and watched it update automatically even in the middle of the night on a Saturday (or was it Friday) night. All I need do was refresh the page. But 13 hours later I checked the PIRT Tracking System and my PIRT still isn't to be found.





Why?

"The Public Information Request Tracker (PIRT) system was developed to managed PIRT requests and provide residents with access to existing requests. This system provides transparency and visibility into the variety of requests received by the City and their current status."

Roch Smith Jr replies to an e-mail I sent to him, City Council and others:

"It may coincide with Sarah being out of the office then, if so, the system is not automated. Perhaps she can explain."

If Sarah says it I can accept it. She's never lied to me that I know of. I make mistakes and assumptions just like everyone else, this one could be on me.