Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Thank You Sharon Hightower

Greensboro City Councilwoman Sharon Hightower and I have locked horns almost since the day she was sworn into office. No matter the subject we almost always take opposite sides. Like myself, she's stubborn and headstrong but time and again she's shown me her heart is in the right place.

Today Bulent Bediz went before the commission that was to determine if 3 of his houses are to be destroyed by the City of Greensboro and to Mr Bediz's surprise, Councilwoman Hightower spoke on his behalf. (See Sharon, I told you I've got spies watching you.)

Thanks to Ms Hightower and Mr Bediz's neighbors who also spoke on his behalf the vote was 3-3 so his houses get to stand a little longer while Greensboro finally learns the truth about the land grab that is going on in Glenwood.

With that said, I'd like to thank Councilwoman Hightower for bucking UNCG and Greensboro's status quo by standing up for the working class. We're hard headed, you and I, and I've no doubt we'll lock horns over something again soon but as of right now I just want to thank you from the bottom of my heart.

I only wish we were in the same room so I could do it in person.