Sunday, July 16, 2017

Remembering Reginald Demarcus Wrenn

I was looking out my window that night, already talking to Guilford County 911 reporting the noise at the liquor house when the shots rang out, the kids started screaming, cars sped away and the body of 24 year old Reginald Demarcus Wrenn was left dying on the street in front of the liquor house.

Every year since, friends and family of Reginald Demarcus Wrenn have gathered at the place where he died. To this day the media has never told the entire story saying only as Fox8 wrote 2 days ago:

"Police say it was over a fender bender."

The media never mentions the liquor house that had operated there freely, selling alcohol and drugs to hundreds of minors every night of the week for months despite the full knowledge of the Greensboro Police Department right up to then Chief Ken Miller.

How do I know Ken Miller knew about it? A public information request to the City of Greensboro should provide you with my e-mails to him concerning the subject. The Greensboro Police Department and the City of Greensboro should be held accountable.

Amazingly, the very night before it happened I wrote, There's Racism And Then There's Racism in which I explained how institutional racism makes entire communities suffer, black and white:


"When city leaders, developers and realtors conspire to deprive a neighborhood of adequate police protection because the neighborhood is mostly black and they'd rather concentrate police resources in the  higher end neighborhoods where the city leaders, developers and realtors live-- that's institutional racism. That went on for over 30 years in my northeast Greensboro neighborhood.

You see, unbeknownst to a lot of you high class white folk, us poor white folk that got left behind are finally beginning to figure out that we too have been victims of white on black racism for all these years. Not the he said she's a nigger and won't give her a job type racism but the more dangerous and destructive institutional racism with its repeated "friendly fire" incidents. And like our black neighbors who we finally learned to love, we're starting to get pissed-off about getting discriminated against.

Now admittedly, we weren't very bright, it took way too long for us to figure this stuff out and a lot of our kind still don't get it but when they do get it-- and they will-- there is going to be hell to pay right here in Greensboro.

When the Mayor of Greensboro, city funded non profits, developers and realtors conspire to deprive a mostly black neighborhood of high paying jobs while building industrial parks on the lilly white county lines 10 miles outside the city limits and downtown performing arts centers at taxpayers' expense-- that too could be seen as Institutional racism."


The death of 24 year old Reginald Demarcus Wrenn was not just over a fender bender as police would like you to believe. Reginald Demarcus Wrenn  was the only sober person there. He went there to pick up his younger brother and got shot to death when trying to break up the fight between his brother and the 22 year old who shot Demarcus to death. Over a fight started by Demarcus' brother.

All these years later "I still hear a young black woman on crutches crying her heart out as she makes her way from the liquor house, past my house and up the street, "Stupid niggers, stupid niggers, they fuck it up for all of us..."

But had the Greensboro Police Department not delayed for months in closing that liquor house, Reginald Demarcus Wrenn might still be alive today.

Reginald Demarcus Wrenn had a good job, was engaged to a young nurse in Burlington. After his death she came to visit me along with their friends. They were planning to buy a home and start a family someday. She came to visit me because I was the only one writing the truth about what happened that night in a series of articles that made me widely known in East Greensboro among people who might not have known me otherwise.

Reginald Demarcus Wrenn died because the Greensboro Police Department committed Institutional racism in failing to stop a known problem that would have never been tolerated for even a single weekend in any upscale Greensboro neighborhood.

And to add insult to injury, the liquor house was allowed to operate 7 nights a week for over a month after the death of Reginald Demarcus Wrenn, and was only closed when I e-mailed Ken Miller to warn him we were about to burn it down.

You should be able to do a public information request and find that e-mail as well. What are they going to do to me? I've got Pulmonary Fibrosis and no health insurance. I didn't fail to do my job and cause the death of Reginald Demarcus Wrenn, I saved other young people by convincing Ken Miller that we were going to do what he wasn't doing.

After all, it's not like this neighborhood hadn't done it before.

Fox8 Reports:

“If I can prevent another mom or another dad from experiencing what I have experienced, me coming out here makes it all worth it," she said."

A month later I too experienced the loss of my son, Jason.

I welcome Pastor Deborah White and The Sky's the Limit Walk to my corner forever.