Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Greensboro Performing Arts: Deja Vu

No longer do I need to poke holes in plans to build a downtown Greensboro Performing Arts Center. All I do now is take notes and pass along what others direct me to. For example: In today's News & Record, W.H. Nash writes,

"Instead, I have but one question: What plans does the city have for the existing War Memorial Auditorium at the Greensboro Coliseum Complex?

I fear that, as in the case of the similarly named stadium on Yanceyville Street, the city’s approach will be to allow it to fall into a state of disrepair. On my last visit to the auditorium, it was obvious that such inertia and disregard were already well under way.

Once the auditorium becomes too dilapidated and “unsafe,” the city can simply raze it to construct some other surefire attraction (has anybody actually been to the ACC Hall of Champions?) that will likely be met with yawning indifference by the general public."


Downtown's movers and shakers thought Greensboro didn't care about War Memorial Stadium so they failed to keep their promise to renovate the memorial to the sons, fathers, grandfathers and great grandfathers who died to keep us free. And in doing so they lost the public's trust.

Do I need to work to twart plans to build a downtown PAC? No, the downtowners have done that for me. All I need do now is write it down and remind them there is a way they can make it happen. Problem is: they simply don't want to go there.

Continue to article #107. An Obiturary For The Greensboro Performing Arts Center?.