Tuesday, May 7, 2013

So Who Is the Most Popular Writer At GreensboroIdeas.com?

Mayor Robbie Perkins cooked up this idea last year to have a contest to see who could come up with the best ideas for economic development for Greensboro and had city staff hire a company to put up a clunky and hard to use website called GreensboroIdeas.com where people can share ideas for economic development and/or submit a RFP (Request For Proposals.)

Like I said, it's clunky and hard to use but I trudge away doing my part for Greensboro and if the City's numbers are correct my ideas are the most popular to be found at GreensboroIdeas.com. My big idea: Open Government. I'll add more to it later.

You see, without open government economic growth is always limited to a few well-connected elites and the rest of us are left behind. For example, the Chancellor at A&T will be picking the winners of the Greensboro Ideas contest. The Chancellor at A&T also gets to decide about the Florida Street extension across the A&T University Farm that Mayor Perkins has been pushing.

As for money, I doubt I'll be submitting an RFP. I just wouldn't feel right about taking your money. Besides, we know the game is rigged, the Mayor said so himself when he announced his plan last year.

 Update: Got the following e-mail:

"Greensboro Ideas support@mindmixer.com via pm.mtasv.net
    
9:02 AM (3 hours ago)
        
to me
Hello Billy,

Your idea, Open Government, has been reported by another user on Greensboro Ideas as being abusive. Please revise this idea to make it more appropriate.

Greensboro Ideas is a place where residents come together to share and improve ideas. This kind of sharing and interaction relies on positive interaction between members.

We have established some community guidelines to help promote a safe and inviting environment. These guidelines include:

-        Be respectful of other members and their ideas. There is no need to harass or abuse another member.

-        Do not, under any circumstances, post anything obscene, hateful, or derogatory. If you need to ask yourself twice if it’s appropriate, it’s probably not appropriate.

-        There is no need to sharply criticize another member’s ideas. Feedback should be constructive and encourage the submitter to improve his or her idea.

Any behavior or actions that violate these simple rules or the Terms of Use may lead to member suspension or removal from the Greensboro Ideas site.

Thanks for staying positive,

The MindMixer Team"

I replied back asking them to tell me what they considered abusive. Note my post to my blog was at 9:00 and their e-mail came at 9:02 same day.