Saturday, October 25, 2014

How To Bring Greensboro Out Of Poverty: Part 8

Yesterday I e-mailed the Greensboro City Council and others with the following questions concerning this series How To Bring Greensboro Out Of Poverty:

"Economic Development

Is this possible? http://greensboroperformingarts.blogspot.com/2014/09/how-to-bring-greensboro-out-of-poverty_17.html

And if no, why not?

Entire series here: http://greensboroperformingarts.blogspot.com/2014/09/how-to-bring-greensboro-out-of-poverty.html

-Billy"

Rarely does the Greensboro City Council respond to my e-mails. Often I'm told they simply haven't time to respond to but a few of the most important e-mails. Personally I don't know what is currently more important to a city that has a poverty rate of over 21%, the second hungriest population in the nation, the highest unemployment in the state and rising homelessness but maybe we're being attacked by terrorists or something I'm not aware of. Then again, it's Saturday and it's only been a day so perhaps they'll get back to me this time.

In Part 9 I'll give you their answer. While we wait why not take the time to read NC GS 159-30. Investment of Idle Funds and see if you can think of any reasons why my approach to economic development couldn't be made to work. And if they don't give me an answer I'll continue with more ideas we could have pursued had they given a damn.

PS. Just in case you're wondering what GS 139-31 (b.) was referring to. It means the money must be insured. That brings up yet another interesting question: The City of Greensboro's "rainy day fund" lost $1 Million Dollars in 2013. If state law requires that municipal investments be insured then how is it that Greensboro lost a Million Dollars?

In Part 9 we'll learn how to use that $272 Million Dollars to Greensboro's advantage.