Thursday, March 10, 2016

Who Got The South Elm Street Redevelopment Money: Part 1

 Yesterday, in Tom Carruthers Learns How To E-mail I shared a reply from Greensboro City Attorney Thomas Carruthurs to my long awaited public information request in which I was trying to learn who got the $8,171,830.oo that the City of Greensboro spent on the South Elm Street Redevelopment Project, now known as Union Square.

In my reply to Mr Carruthers I asked:

"Will Mr Carruthers tell us who is administering the project and why a 3rd party is necessary?"

While I'm waiting on a reply from Mr Carruthers I'll share an e-mail I sent to Greensboro City Councilwoman Marikay Abizuaiter, Guilford County Commissioner Raymond Trapp, State Representative Pricey Harrison and Earline Parmon who operates the Greensboro office for United States Congresswoman Alma Adams:

"I hope everyone receiving this e-mail will take the time to open the attachment titled Transaction Report Fund. If you have trouble opening it I also posted it to Google Docs here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9h2K8JxTQUjYkp0QWswVnZlR0VNcVVfZ0lTUmZ1SWx6WG1Z/view?usp=sharing

Now I'm no accountant but neither am I stupid.
What you are going to find there are hundreds of thousands of dollars if not millions of dollars in payments to companies like Chan Krieger & Associate, an  urban revitalization design firm located in Massachusetts.
And the landscape designer, Teska Associates in Chicago.
You'll also find web design firms dating back several years.
Lots of payouts to lawyers.
Lots of administration fees to an unknown entity.
And even a little bit of money that was paid to the few businesses that had to relocate.
But ask yourself this: If the City of Greensboro is paying for all the up front costs of marketing and design that are normally paid for by project developers and the City of Greensboro is paying for the property then reselling it to developers at a loss while the Federal government picks up the tab for the environmental clean-up then exactly what are the developers paying for? Or is over $8 Million Dollars in taxpayer monies being given away to people who just happen to be very close to City Council?
Please folks, work with me on this, what am I missing, what am I reading wrong, what am I right about?
And Marikay, as the only member of City Council to get this e-mail I'm sure everyone reading would love to hear back from you. For if I'm right this is your chance to make sure you never have to worry about getting reelected again.
And Councilman Trapp, Guilford County comes up a few times as well, just thought you'd want to be kept in the loop.
Representative Harrison, FYI, there are payments to the State of NC.
Ms Parmon, as the local person for US.Representative Alma Adams I thought you'd want the Congresswoman to know Federal Funds are involved as well.

Thanks
-Billy"

Now to be fair, these are all busy people who most likely have not had the time to read my e-mail as yet but I wanted you dear readers to know that people beyond the City of Greensboro are being made aware of what I have found.

And ask yourself this: Why all the payouts to the Guilford County Health Department, Community Foundation of Greater Greensboro and even to the City of Greensboro from a fund that was designated to pay for the redevelopment of South Elm Street?

If any of you would like for me to forward you the actual file so that you can study it yourself, perhaps to help me in this investigation, perhaps to prove me wrong or simply because you want to see it for yourself then e-mail me at RecycleBill@gmail.com and I'll be happy to send it to you.

Or if you want to view it in Google Docs: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9h2K8JxTQUjYkp0QWswVnZlR0VNcVVfZ0lTUmZ1SWx6WG1Z/view?usp=sharing

If you click on the link above and start clicking on the totals at the bottom of the page you're going to start having lots of very interesting questions about how the City of Greensboro managed to spend well over $8 Million Dollars on the project before they sold an empty lot to developers at a loss. I know I sure do.

Stay tuned for Who Got The South Elm Street Redevelopment Money: Part 2 and maybe we'll have some replies by then.