Saturday, September 28, 2013

Where I'm Coming From By Katei Cranford

"I've spent my life learning about Greensboro. I'm proud to be what GSO historian, Jim Schlosser, calls a "'dinosaur,' because there aren't too many of us left."


And he's right. Greensboro is a very different place from my youth. Beyond new stadiums and a lively downtown, the Greensboro of today is filled with new people. Something like 52% aren't natives.


Our growth is more than outside companies like FedEx, Syngenta, and Volvo--it's our natural charm and pizazz that accompanies seven vibrant colleges--it's our diversity, our parks, and the people who care.


I'm proud to be one of those people.


My roots run strong--from the Billy "Crash" Craddock 16th street street bridge, to my grandfather's memorial at Bryan Park--my family has helped shape the Greensboro I grew up with.


I'm ready to shape our future.


Greensborian-educated from grade school forward, I've been proud to highlight GSO awareness, from the top of the WUAG 103.1 tower to the festival-lined streets.


Since graduating from UNCG in 2011, I've not only embarked on my career, but have become increasing involved with the workings of our city and the role of our City Council.


Now, much like our city, I am facing a crossroads.


Greensboro is 95th in upward mobility--behind Detroit, Michigan. We are 3rd in food insecurity--New Orleans is 2nd.


The climate for recent graduates is dismal, as reflected in our deplorable retention-rate amongst students. We must become more connected. Our diversity is a gift; but along with transportation issues we experience a debilitating lack of cohesion which stifles opportunity.


We must embrace innovation to create opportunities to keep our graduates--otherwise they'll continue to build skills and take them elsewhere.


I don't want to go elsewhere. I want to build my career here in Greensboro. And I want it to start with you.


I want my job to be improving our city. I want to work for you. Head to the polls and hire me, Greensboro.


You won't be disappointed.


Your choice, our voice."


This is why candidates should run for office and why Katei Cranford will get my vote. I only met Katei in 2011 but her family I've known since I was a teenager up in a very different Greensboro many years ago when her older cousins, Billy Crash Craddock's sons, were in the cub scouts with my younger brothers. Katei isn't one of those who plans to take what she can take before getting out, she's here for the long haul just as were here ancestors before her.

Oh, and my mom, Ms Betty, the neighbors call her, says vote for Katei.