Sunday, June 22, 2014

Greensboro's Other Landfills: Part 1

Most of my readers will be familiar with the long running saga of the City of Greensboro's White Street Landfill but did you know there are other landfills locally used by the City of Greensboro? One such landfill is called Simmons Hauling located at 3807 Fieldview Road a residential property in Pleasant Garden, NC, 27313.

Simmons Hauling is unique for several reasons. One is, the folks in Pleasant Garden didn't realize Danny and his wife Amy were operating a landfill there. They thought Danny and Amy were running a hauling business. You see, I checked.

Guilford County didn't know there was a landfill there. I checked with them as well.

NC DENR (Department of Environment and Natural Resources) informed me there is no record of any permit ever being issued for any landfill in Pleasant Garden.

But the City of Greensboro has been paying to dump there. With money from your water and sewer bill-- you know, the one Mayor Vaughan recently announced she would be raising?

And did I mention that Danny Simmons is a supervisor with the City of Greensboro Water Resources Department whose responsibilities include supervising dump truck drivers, equipment operators and deciding where Greensboro taxpayers will pay to dump?

I'll be sharing more in Part 2 of Greensboro's Other Landfills and hope you will share this post with everyone you know. And just so you know, Greensboro City Manager Jim Westmoreland and the entire Greensboro City Council, all 9, were made aware of this over a month ago and have to date chosen to do nothing about it. I even offered not to blog about if if they would resolve the problems. They haven't.

Again, please share so they will be forced to do their jobs.

Update:  In the interest of fairness I have e-mailed the following to City Manager Jim Westmoreland and the entire Greensboro City Council:

"I have posted the following article: Greensboro's Other Landfills: Part 1 http://greensboroperformingarts.blogspot.com/2014/06/greensboros-other-landfills-part-1.html and welcome your response. I will post Part 2 on Wednesday morning and will include any response you send me.

Thank you -Billy Jones"

Will they respond or will they ignore me as they so often do? Find out in Greensboro's Illegal Landfills: Part 2.