Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Fwd: City of Greensboro: Public Records Request # 5359

As was pointed out by Roch in his article, Playing favorites, a few days ago the City of Greensboro has a problem responding to public information requests. But apparently it's not just about playing favorites, apparently, even though Eric Robert has dropped his lawsuit against the City of Greensboro Mayor Vaughan and the City are still hiding something as evidenced by their substitution of other information in response to my public information request for receipts, receipts payable and receipts due.

Now I understand a lot of people think what I do here is a complete waste of time, that nothing will change because of my efforts. And quite possibly you are right. But in making requests and putting these public records online I leave a trail for others with more means to follow up on.

And when the City of Greensboro deliberately refuses to fill my public information requests or sends me something other than what I asked for it becomes quite apparent there is something there they don't want you, Dear Readers, to know. After all, I'm only asking for items that are by law, deemed public records.

So in response to yesterday's failure by the City of Greensboro Communications and Public Relations Department, aka the City Propaganda Machine, I give you the e-mail I just sent to City Attorney Tom Carruthers, Mayor Vaughan and others:

"Tom,
Below you will find the e-mail I sent to Ms Carter yesterday. Should it be truncated by the e-mail server you can also find it online at

Downsized Union Square

In compiling PIRT # 5359 I was very careful to abide by City and State policy as posted to the City of Greensboro  website here: http://www.greensboro-nc.gov/index.aspx?page=3765







I didn't ask questions, ask for a public record to be created or ask that records be created that do not exist.

I asked specifically for existing public records including:
"All receipts
All receipts payable
All receipts due"

And specifically referenced to South Elm Redevelopment Street Project.

Now as City Attorney, would you, Mr Carruthers, like to explain to me why the City of Greensboro went through all the trouble of creating a document that contradicts with City Policy and NCGS 132-6.2 (e) in reply to my very simple public information request for City of Greensboro public records that already exist?

You can be sure the readers of http://www.EzGreensboro.com would like to know the answer as they will soon be reading this e-mail as well.

Thank you
-Billy Jones"

City staff went through a whole lot of trouble to gather all those documents in order to compile a document they weren't required to create in the first place. It would have been easier to give me what I asked for.

But they chose not to. Why?

Eric Robert has dropped his law suit but the City of Greensboro is still hiding something. What is it and who gained from it?