Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Who Said Anything About A Subsidy?

Look, I know it will require some taxpayer dollars to build the The Randall Jarrell Performing Arts Center but unlike the proposed downtown performing arts center, if we can't make a profit then there's no need to build it.

Unlike Mayor Perkins, who foolishly thinks this can all be put together in just 9 months, I'm betting against such a short time frame. Why, that's just being reckless. Could it be the Mayor is riding in on a Trojan Horse? I mean, I've got nothing to hide, I might stand to gain if the Greensboro Performing Arts Center is built inside the green circle but only if my property value goes up and I'm able to sell our home for considerably more than its current worth. But that's assuming I decide to sell. Should the East Greensboro Performing Arts Center be built then I'm guessing my property taxes will go up. Besides, at 0.3 of a mile from the proposed site I doubt I'll be effected except by a bit more traffic than I get now. And being that the two streets my corner lot borders on lead directly to Wendover Avenue and US 29 I already see more traffic than most Greensboro residents.

Did I mention my property taxes will go up?

I believe that any municipal project involving $72 Million Dollars should be a long time in the making. $72 Million is not a decision to be taken lightly-- slow down. Like the Durham Performing Arts Center, the The Randall Jarrell Performing Arts Center should turn a profit for the city and not require regular infusions of cash to be paid for by the taxpayers.

Update: 15 April, 2012. I recently visited the Durham Performing Arts Center and was told by speakers there, that DPAC does not return a profit to the City of Durham but is responsible for its own maintenance and repairs. Return to original post:

And like the Durham Performing Arts Center, the East Greensboro Performing Arts Center should be a public-private partnership that returns a profit to the citizens of Greensboro.

Continue to article #11 Aesthetics And Architecture