Friday, September 28, 2012

I Give Up, Build The Damn Thing

I never believed for a second that I would convince Greensboro's elite to build a performing arts center in Northeast Greensboro. Fact is: I don't want to live next door to such a thing. My goal from day one was to point out the broken promises, lies and theft that my neighborhood and neighborhoods like mine have endured for decades at the hands of connected developers, Greensboro's elites and the Greensboro City Council. And in that I've been a success. The East Greensboro PAC was just the hook to lure people in. Not only have I united neighborhoods all around town but even downtown's working class now understands that they too have been victimized by the same criminals who posion the rest of our city.

So go ahead and build your downtown performing arts center. Build it with public money if you can. Build it with private money if you must. But remember: When the young people who fill those minimum-wage jobs leave Greensboro to fulfill their dreams in far away cities offering real opportunity, you and those like you have only yourselves to blame.

And people like me will always be here to tell the world what you have done.