Friday, September 14, 2012

Tomatillos!

When growing up in the Appalachian Mountians my mother called these native North Carolina fruits, Ground Cherries. They are often referred to today as Mexican Tomatoes or Mexican Husk Tomatoes and at your neighborhood Food Lion and Harris Teeter they call them Tomatillos and charge you $4.oo a pound for them. Twice the price of tomatoes.




That's sage in the comtainer bottom left of the photo. It's roughly $300.oo a pound on the grocery store shelves and also stupid easy to grow. Don't believe the price? Read the small print next time you walk down the spice isle. I grow a dozen other equally high priced herbs and spices. And all of them are legal.

Tomatillos are in-fact the easiest plant I have ever grown, bar none. Stupid easy to grow. In the wild they seldom grow much bigger than a cherry but given a little TLC they grow fat like those in the grocery store. They require zero pesticides as nothing eats them before they fall from the vine-- not deer, rabbits, squirrel, bugs, anything that I have ever seen will attack them on the vine. Once on the ground the tart fruit sweetens and becomes a tasty treat for all kinds of critters but are most often consumed by tiny sugar ants.

I found my seed stock in the wild here in Guilford County. If others would like some seed stock just let me know and I'll be glad to give it to you and explain how to save them for next year's planting. One fruit will provide more seeds than you will ever need. Two plants would seed an entire farm. You must plant at least two plants for cross-pollination or else they won't bear fruit. It's stupid simple, really. As they are related to tomatoes you can grow them anywhere you grow tomatoes but because they are a native North Carolina plant, they are much more forgiving than tomatoes. Good soil, sun, water and they do their thing. Next year I'll plant cucumbers, beans or peas in these containers as rotation planting is necessary to keep tomatillo crops healthy. What I'll probably do is plant early peas then follow up with cukes.




The containers these tomatillos are growing in were once US Army rocket launchers that were considered no longer usable for killing people so I thought it fitting they should now be used to feed people. Sadly, the Army landfills thousands of these each year as their mixed plastic and resin construction has no salvage value. I might know where a few more can be found for the asking if they haven't already been landfilled.



Yes, that is a green egg from a chicken.

In case you're not familier with tomatillos... That was the link to Wikipedia. Pick up any jar of salsa and odds are good tomatillos will be the first ingredient. I eat chopped tomatillos, sweet peppers and onions in scrambled organic eggs from my City of Greensboro grandfathered backyard free range chickens about 4 days a week. I also can lots of salsa, make tomatillo relish (great on hot dogs) fry tomatillos like green tomatoes and serve them in tossed salads. And I don't bother growing anything I can't eat except my hair.