Monday, October 22, 2012

I'm A Lousy Leader

And I'm worse at following. But that's just the way I am. I'll never rally the crowds needed to make the positive changes Greensboro needs. When I go negative everybody shouts, "Go get 'em, Billy!" But I've done this before. I know what happens when the day comes when it's time to rally the troops. Everyone stays home leaving Billy to face The Man alone and The Man only laughs because he makes the rules and he calls all the shots.

Then, when I meet people in the street they always say, "It's a shame what those guys did to you, pumping you up then letting you down like that." never admitting that he or she was one of "those guys."

I know this to be true because I've done it before. On shit jobs where employers were cheating us out of our hard earned pay. Not just paying us low wages but not paying the wages the promised. In the trailer park where I once lived where we were denied trash pick-up for weeks because the landlord used the only dumpster for construction and demolition, at a trucking company were dozens of us were forced to drive until we fell asleep at the wheel and one of our co-workers died because of it and in a home owners association where someone was pocketing the money that was supposed to be going into keeping up the commons. In every one of those instances I "lead the effort" only to be abandoned by my "followers" come time to make a stand and in every instance I got pushed out, fired or otherwise cast aside.

I've no doubt the same thing will happen on the 29th of October when we I attempt to stand up to Mayor Perkins at his East Greensboro Summit, aka the Gathering of the Trolls 6-8 PM at Dudley High School (link to Google map.)

Then, when I meet people in the street they always say, "It's a shame what those guys did to you, pumping you up then letting you down like that." never admitting that he or she was one of "those guys."

Yes, I'm a lousy leader and a worse follower but it won't be because Billy Jones didn't try.