Saturday, December 22, 2012

What Did Northeast Greensboro Get Out Of The Skip Alston Grocery Store Deal?

To be perfectly honest, I haven's a clue. As best as I can tell, instead of utilizing the old Phillips Avenue Winn-Dixie grocery store, Skip intends to build a new grocery store building on the city owned property next door. My plan would have used that property to grow fresh, healthy organic vegetables to be sold in the existing grocery store until there was an actual need to develop the additional property but hey, who cares as long as we get a grocery store, right? Right?

I mean, it's not like it requires the use of energy, natural resources or any of those environmental concerns to build new buildings, right? And while we do need a grocery store we're not even being told what grocery store we're getting. Now ordinarily that might be okay but this is City owned property requiring improvements to be paid for by the taxpayers and a mortgage on which the City of Greensboro holds the note. And Skip Alston thinks he has the right to keep secrets from us? I don't think so.

Funny how Skip Alston has become one of the very people he spent his life fighting-- don't you think? How he would make decisions for my neighborhood without even asking my neighbors what it was we wanted? How he thinks only his opinion matters? Sounds a lot like Mayor Perkins if you ask me.

Anyway, you can read what Mr Alston and the City of Greensboro have chosen to make public in this week's IFYI. It could be I'm confused.