Friday, January 11, 2013

Ed Cone's Double Standard

Ed Cone comments on Ross Harris' statement: " “We need some commitment from the council before we can actually go out and get those signed pledges (for private donations).”

Ed says,

"By credibility I mean I know her to be a highly competent and ethical person, and one who understands how fundraising works and how to get it done. I see nothing in the article, or in other reports to date, that leads me to doubt that.

I understand the difference between saying you have money committed and showing your hand, and as I've said, nobody is going to do a deal based on "trust me." But nobody is being asked to do so. We don't even know if there will be a project yet. This finger-pointing is premature and silly."


But we were told the money was committed. We were asked to do a deal based on "trust me" Why lie, Ed Cone? Do you think that just because the News & Record destroyed their archives once again that 280,000 residents of Greensboro have forgotten?

If I went before Greensboro City Council on Tuesday night and asked for money for the Downtown Greensboro Aquarium project while claiming I already had $20 Million Dollars in secret donations would Ed Cone blog his support or would he hold me to some double standard that Greensboro's elite are not expected to meet?

Premature and silly? What was premature and silly was for Mayor Robbie Perkins to try and force this issue on Greensboro taxpayers without first looking around and asking us what Greensboro needed most. This isn't an example of visionary leadership, this is an example of playing follow the leader while lining the pockets of everyone involved.

Credability? This is a woman who was paid $100,000 to do a volunteer job. Credability, Ed Cone, you have none. You sold your credability to the highest bidder and ruined your family name. You've shown your true colors, Ed Cone. I once admired you for your liberal views but now I know the truth, your liberalism is only as deep as your own wallet. If that!