Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Greensboro Forgets To Lock The Vault And Set The Alarm

On Feburary 4, 2014 I sent the following PIRT (Public information) request to the City of Greensboro concerning the downtown Wyndham Hotel for which $1.975 Million Dollars in incentive GRANTS were given later that same day:

"Is the City in possession of a feasibility study pertaining to the Wyndham and if so, why was it not provided?

Thanks -Billy"

The following day came this reply:

"Billy:

 The City does not have a copy of the feasibility study. Once one becomes available, I will send it to you.

Sincerely,
Sarah Healy

What, I thought to myself, The city gives away almost $2 Million Dollars without first doing a feasibility study? That's against the law! I e-mailed Sarah back on Thursday:

"Sarah,

The Urban Guidelines for Incentives says an independent study is one of the requirements before incentives can be granted. It would appear the guidelines were not met. Please send me the score sheets.

Thanks -Billy

So far: http://greensboroperformingarts.blogspot.com/2014/02/greensboro-city-council-gives.html "

Today I get the following reply:

Billy:
The city staff did review the feasibility study; however, they were asked to return it after the order was placed.  A copy of the feasibility study will need to be given to the City before the close of the loan.  When a copy is received, I will be happy to send it to you.

Sincerely,
Sarah"

Are you thinking what I'm thinking? My reply:

"Sarah,
Please ask your employer to explain how they will know that the feasibility study that is presented to them the second time 'round is the same document that was presented to them the first time if they didn't keep a copy? After all, we are dealing with developers who were previously proven by 3rd party auditors hired by the City of Greensboro to have falsified their 2010 hotel study of which you've already sent me copies of that study and the audit.

Thanks -Billy"

I learned a long time ago that behind any pile of money there's a thief trying to figure out a way to get his or her hands on it. It appears Sarah's bosses have left the doors to the vault unlocked and the alarm system turned off. I wish Sarah had better bosses, she deserves better bosses.