Friday, February 21, 2014

Incentives In Greensboro: 28: Answering Questions With Questions

If nothing else this series Incentives In Greensboro has proven that the Greensboro City Staff is quite adept at answering questions with still more questions without providing adequate answers. But who am I to complain for if they actually provided answers I'd have nothing to do in this down economy except perhaps become some sort of homegrown terrorist for which I'm really getting just too old.

So I guess I'll just continue to terrorize them with strikes on a computer keyboard.

Back in  Incentives In Greensboro Part 24: Setting The Record Straight I sent the following Public Information Request PIRT to the City of Greensboro in an attempt to unravel the mystery of what is actually going on when Incentives are granted and what the working class taxpayers get out of the deal:

"There are times when it is necessary to give incentives to private companies to provide the necessary infrastructure to grow the economy and provide services necessary to society that private industry might not have the capital to provide. Building a bigger tax base is not one of those necessities. As a matter of fact, the City of Greensboro is unable to provide any evidence that building a bigger tax base actually benefits the community overall. I challenge the Greensboro City Council and City Staff to show us proof that increasing Greensboro's tax base actually benefits the community overall."

The City answered my PIRT with the following question:

"Following up on this email, could you perhaps be more specific about what you’re looking for in terms of proof/records? I would be happy to discuss your request with the Economic Development staff."

I've played this game before. They're wanting to get me to ask for specific documents that as a lay person I don't know what they're called-- as my friend Roch likes to put it, delay, obfuscate & manipulate-- this isn't a new problem.

I can play their game. I send them my reply:

"Sure, provide us with data that indicates that the use of incentives to increase the tax base benefits the community overall as in more jobs for existing residents, higher wages for existing residents, a higher standard of living for existing residents, a lower poverty rate, lower unemployment, lower crime rates and a higher quality of life for the people who already live in Greensboro.

If the Economic Development Staff would like to make this request more specific and thus even more difficult to complete myself and others will be happy to comply. Go watch them cringe now. And Sarah, this isn't directed at you.

Thanks -Billy"

If you'd like to add to that list of questions send an e-mail to RecycleBill@gmail.com or leave your question in the comments below. Anonymous cowards are welcome to ask questions too.
 
 Please continue reading Incentives In Greensboro: 29: Incentives As Tax Write-Off.