Thursday, March 13, 2014

City Replies To Greensboro Urban Farm Questions

I got answers to some of my questions about the Urban Farm that is to be built on Phillips Ave at Lombardy Street. You may view my questions and the City of Greensboro's answers here.

I also have City cost estimates and e-mails here.

I still find it strange that any farming operation would start out with plans to buy over 300,000 gallons of water a year at a cost of $1,949.29 when there's a creek that free-flows millions of gallons of water each year flowing through the middle of the project. Unless of course, the plan is for state taxpayers to but Greensboro City Water.

Now is this for restrooms and water fountains--that makes sense. But then in reading through the list of responses to my questions I figured it out... The folks with the City of Greensboro, Eastern Development Growth Enterprise and NC A&T University... as smart as they may be they'll just never get it. After all, they're just not farmers, they haven't a clue.

But I'll give you a little tip: A real farmer could build a drip irrigation system that pulled water from the creek for the cost of 1 year's water bill-- seriously. All one needs is a slightly elevated tank, a pump, float valve, wires, pump and hoses.

I learned a lesson today: people aren't always as crooked as I suspect them to be-- they're just not as smart as I give them credit for. Maybe next year they'll wise up and draw the water from the creek instead.