Tuesday, June 10, 2014

First Tee, Second Swing

A little bird came flying in from the golf course a while ago so excited I could hardly understand what she had to say. "Calm down," I said, "I told you not to fly so close to the golfers, that a stray ball might hit you. Are you okay?"

"I'm fine," she tweeted, "I'm just excited about what I heard about First Tee of the Triad."

"You mean Greensboro Councilman Mike Barber's gig?" I asked. "Here, have some lemonade and cool your feathers."

"Yes," she sang, "First Tee has a program they call Second Swing where golfers can donate their old golf clubs and other golf gear and stuff."

"Really?" I asked.

"Really," she chirped. "It's tax deductible and everything."

"So what does First Tee of the Triad do with the donations they take in through their Second Swing program?" I asked "Do you like the lemonade?"

"Great lemonade," she fluttered. "They sell the stuff they take in and use 75% of the money to go towards the programming."

"You mean programming like teaching poor kids to play a game most will never be able to afford to play on their own?"

"Yes!" she chirped, "Isn't it exciting!"

"So what do they do with the other 25%?" I asked.

"Oh that," she said as she took to flight, "Mike Barber puts the other 25% in his pocket."

What can I say, my sources are birdies