Sunday, September 30, 2012

DGI Begs For More Money

Ed Wolverton of Downtown Greensboro Incorporated has himself in a bit of a pickle. It appears DGI was granted a sum of money by the City of Greensboro to use to help downtown businesses but that sum had an expiration date on it and when Edwin failed to spend the money in the way he was directed to spend the money the City of Greensboro fulfilled their end of the deal and took back the money.

I mean, promises are promises, right? It's not my fault out here in Northeast Greensboro that Edwin, Milton Kern, Dawn Cheney and the rest of the DGI board screwed DGI's members, is it? Why should I have to pay for their mistakes?

Now our Downtown business owners are pissed because they got screwed-- again. And being that Edwin is holding a briefing session on Thursday night that is soon to be followed up by an appearance with City Council it looks as if the rest of us are about to be screwed-- again. You know what I think? I mean besides the fact that there's not enough kissing going on? I think the City Council should give DGI the money provided all the following terms are met:

*DGI is removed from the Greensboro Partnership altogether and allowed to stand on its own.
*The entire DGI Board of Directors resigns or is voted out of office and is replaced by a board that is in no way affiliated with the Greensboro Partnership or any of its crony organizations.
*The new board fires Ed Wolverton.
*DGI submits to an independent and public 3rd party audit with auditors chosen by the City of Greensboro and paid for by DGI.

Sound fair?

UPDATE: I changed my mind as I reserve the right to make smarter decisions.