Wednesday, May 15, 2013

CLARENCE IZZARD: The Reason We Need RUCO

Clarence Izzard has never lived at 1203 Willard St in Greensboro but according to the Guilford County Register of Deeds,  that is where the property tax bill is mailed each year for the property taxes on the house at 1203 Willard St which Mr Izzard rents to a single mother of several children who has lived there for the last 12 or more years.

As a matter of fact: Clarence Izzard has never lived at 1203 Willard St in Greensboro-- not even for a day. The last property owner to actually occupy the house at 1203 Willard St was Roger Julius Hayes who sold the property in 1983. It's changed hands several times since then. How do I know that to be true? Roger was like a big brother to me. He looked after me, my brothers and even my parents when I was out of town working.

Roger grew up there, two doors behind me. Between he and I were his first cousins, the Pinnix brothers of which I have written before. When Roger was able he bought a home of his own and left the neighborhood. Upon his mother's death he inherited a house he didn't need. Roger tried renting the house out for a few years but it wasn't much of a money maker so he eventually put it on the market. Fact is: if you've ever tried to work 2 full time jobs, raise kids, take care of the house your family lives in plus take care of a rental home... Well Roger simply found himself too tired to do it all. Who could blame him? Certainly not me.

Many a horrid tenant lived there until the family who lives there now moved in. It took me a while to get used to them but they turned out okay. But why does Clarence Izzard claim to live there? And why is Clarence Izzard is said to live on Brookside Ct in Kernersville in another low priced home or on Hazelwood Dr  in East Greensboro in yet another low priced home?

And did the City of Greensboro ever know that Atlanta slumlord, Clarence Izzard, was even buying, selling and renting houses in Greensboro? And did they care?

For those unaware, RUCO is a set of safe housing rules that used to apply to Greensboro landlords until the City of Greensboro helped lobby the State of North Carolina to make the City's own regulations null and void. Yeah, I know it sounds crazy but so does most everything else Greensboro government does. You know, like building a dam we never needed.