Monday, July 15, 2013

The Law Of Unintended Consequences Abounds In Greensboro Government

The Following is a July 9, 2013 Letter to the Editor written by David B. Craft.

"Thoughtful solution needed for downtown

I was downtown Saturday, June 29, at Triad Stage, the night that 400 people allegedly rioted. We saw a lot of activity and large groups of young people as well as quite a few police officers. I never felt unsafe.

The city’s response to enforce a curfew after one incident reminds me of another change in city policy several years ago. One cannot ride a bike in city cemeteries. I asked why and was told they had an instance of fast bikers.
Click Here!

In either case, a more measured and thoughtful response seems more appropriate. Young people need a place to go, and I have always wanted to visit my family’s gravesite in Forest Lawn while on a bike ride at Country Park.

David B. Craft

Greensboro"

Reminds me of yet another: In the year 2000 I self-published my first collection of poetry and short stories, Carrot On A Stick.Without the Millions of dollars needed for distribution I planned to do as many successful authors in cities like New York and other great cities have done and sell my books downtown on the sidewalks and other public spaces. Most never make the big time but many do make a living. But when I went to get my business privilege license I was refused as itinerant book sales was and still are illegal in Greensboro. I'd never before used the Internet but soon after founded what eventually came to be BloggingPoet.com.

Along about 2004 it was explained to me by then City Councilwoman, Sandy Carmany that itinerant book sales were illegal in Greensboro for fear the KKK might also want to sell their books in Greensboro.

It is my understanding that it only takes 3 injured parties to file a class action law suit and that attorneys only charge you if you win. If I were to find 2 other people who have been refused the right to itinerant book sales (or CDs, art, etc...) we could probably be rewarded very handsomely based on how many years it has been since you were turned away.

All I need is 2 and Hell Day becomes Hell Year for the City of Greensboro. And me, I'm really tired of dicking around with morons who have no clue of the effects of their actions on other people. RecycleBill@gmail.com let's find us a lawyer...