Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Selling The Sportsplex: The Performing Arts Center Redux

Update: My mistake, they are closing the Sportsplex instead of selling it. Begin original post:

In today's News & Record we have an article about the idea that the City of Greensboro might sell the Greensboro Sportsplex in order to raise money to offset losses in revenue. Now personally I could care less about the SportsPlex. I don't use it and don't see myself using it at any time in the future. But there is a bit of a mystery surrounding the SportsPlex that needs to be aired in public and Greensboro leaders have so far refused to do so.

You see, back in December I stumbled across plans to build a new and very much larger Greensboro SportsPlex just off of Franklin Blvd just a few miles to the Southeast of the current SportsPlex and right along the path of Mayor Robbie Perkin's planned Florida Street Extension. Now are we selling one Sportsplex while planning to build a new and bigger SportsPlex? Is this why Robbie Perkins and Roy Carroll have recently taken such a huge personal interest in investments in the area? Are they insider trading?

Now if that wasn't reason enough for a road through a community that doesn't currently need a road then I don't know what is.

I communicated my concerns to city officials but no one replied. Not a peep. If you'd like to do public information requests my e-mail address is recyclebill@gmail.com

In a meeting a few weeks ago I brought this subject up. Just as lower ranking city officials had done previously, the City Manager and City Attorney refused to grant me or any other citizen access to maps that would prove me wrong. In attendance were Roch Smith jr, John Hammer, Amanda Lehmert, Chief Ken Miller, George Hartzman, Brian Clarey, Tony Wilkins, Charles Cherry, Nancy Vaughan, Donnie Turlington, Marikay Abuzuaiter and numerous others involved in local government and media.

The City Attorney cited bogus terrorist concerns as a reason for not allowing us to see the maps but his concerns are impossible. If you open a water main the water shoots out, not in, making it impossible to poison the water supply at a pressurized main. Only the unguarded tops of the water towers are unpressurized. How do I know? I used to work in utility construction and repair and my first wife's father owned a company that once built and refinished the interiors of water towers sometimes for the City of Greensboro.

I'm tired of being lied to and treated like I'm stupid. Why won't city officials answer my questions? Remember the Rhino!