Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Tony Wilkins Calls For ICRCM Criminal Investigation

I sat beside him the night Tony Wilkins was first interviewed by City Council to replace the outgoing Trudy Wade and warned him that while I like him I would never cut him any slack and if I ever got wind of Tony doing anything illegal I would hound him to death. Tony agreed that he knew I would.

Since the $750,000 International Civil Rights Center and Museum fiasco began over a week ago I have without a doubt hounded Tony Wilkins harder than any other member of the Greensboro City Council. Why? Because I can. And because unlike the remainder of council who has totally ignored me, hid from me, Councilman Wilkins has answered my questions.

Look, I know I'm a pushy son of a bitch but the politicians in Greensboro are just going to have to learn to live with me as my audience grows with every passing day. And while perhaps you can ignore Billy Jones you can't continue to ignore a growing audience forever.

That's why I'm happy to tell my readers that Councilman Wilkins is calling for a criminal investigation into the signing of the $750,000 check without a contract and the events that led up to it.

Mayor Vaughan, on the other hand, thinks a criminal investigation isn't necessary. She thinks it was just a stupid mistake. Well maybe it was a stupid mistake but when $750,000 of taxpayer dollars is involved it is no longer up to any mayor to decide what is and isn't a stupid mistake.

As a matter of fact: Mayors and city council members here in Greensboro have been deciding what is and isn't stupid mistakes for far too long. People assume that because someone is nice to them that they are nice to everyone and never do anything wrong. Well guess what? The same was said about every con man ever convicted.

I commend Councilman Wilkins on calling for this investigation and dare any member of Council to vote no.

And Tony, I'll probably never cut you any slack but this time you did good.