Friday, April 13, 2012

East Greensboro Performing Arts Center: The End?

Some will say I'm throwing in the towel. Perhaps I am. But as I pen this, the 100th article of my effort to bring the Greensboro Performing Arts Center to Northeast Greensboro, just allow me to say I've accomplished exactly what I set out to do.

I've succeeded at making the plight of my community, the community with the highest vacancy rate in the City of Greensboro, known to Greensboro's movers and shakers.

I've asked the question, why not east Greensboro? and have yet to be presented with a single argument for placing a performing arts center downtown that can't be countered with an equally convincing argument for placing the PAC in the little green circle in Northeast Greensboro.

Location and access? Covered.

Economic stimulus? Covered.

Children's programming? Covered.

Hotels? I covered that as well but during our visit to the Durham Performing Arts Center today, DPAC's staff, the Mayor of Durham and others pointed out that less than 2% of DPAC's visitors stay overnight in Durham.

The grocery store area residents had hoped to see built in the little green circle? Like I said, "The grocery store ain't coming."

Civic pride? Yeah, right!

Downtown will give us the most bang for our bucks? I only need point you to the history of Greensboro's Natural Science Center:

"When I was a child the Greensboro Natural Science Center was located on a 2 lane road out in the country. Thinking long term, the city invested there, became vested there, and a nice neighborhood with safe streets and nearby shopping sprang up around it. Nobody worried about the businesses located in the neighborhood because there were none. But business owners and developers wasted no time in getting there.And they didn't ask for taxpayer dollars to develop the area."

And as the Durham speakers today pointed out, before DPAC was built there were only a couple of restaurants in the area but now restaurants are "popping up" all over the area. As a matter of fact: like the little green circle I keep referring to, the site of the Durham Performing Arts Center was previously abandoned commercial property that was owned by the city.

"Abandoned or unused sites are at high risk for deterioration and vandalism. Sites that add to community character or have significant historical or aesthetic value could be lost if barriers to rehabilitation and redevelopment cause them to continue to site idle."

Then there's a matter of cost. The Durham Performing Arts Center costs $44 Million Dollars to build but a similar PAC would cost $60 Million today. And that doesn't include the cost of land.

Giving up? Perhaps. But I've done what I set out to to. I never believed for an instant that I could "steal the $72 Million Dollar proposed downtown Greensboro performing arts center-- their most prized gem-- and place it in the center of the little green circle where the Winn Dixie used to be on Phillips Avenue." After all, I'm not a complete fool, I just see a bigger picture than most.

I've seen through the smoke and mirrors, told you how Greensboro destroyed my home, pointed out the empty promises the lies, the sprawl and lived with 1000 acres of empty promises. I've done my part, posted the survey results and tried to show you how it all comes back to haunt you. It's time someone else took up the cause.

Continue to article #101. Uptown Performing Arts Center...