Friday, April 11, 2014

Nancy Vaughan: Credit Where Credit Is Due

I've been very hard on Greensboro Mayor Nancy Barakat Vaughan. Sometimes perhaps too hard. I've also not been in the habit of reading the Rhino Times since it was bought by developer Roy Carroll but when George Hartzman pointed me to John Hammer's article. DGI Board Charting A New Course I thought it well worth noting that Mayor Vaughan did the right thing:

"Evidence of that new focus was the fact that the retreat was open to the public.  Monday morning DGI decided to close the meeting to the public, but Vaughan stepped in and said, no, in keeping with City Council directives the meeting would be open.  To have Greensboro’s mayor advocating for opening a meeting to the public is a huge change from the way the city and DGI have done business in the past.  Not only were DGI meetings closed to the public, they were closed to property owners who pay the 8-cent Business Improvement District (BID) tax that primarily funds DGI."

Thank you, Madam Mayor. There's still plenty where we don't see eye to eye and sadly my readers won't work nearly as hard to spread the word of this post as they would some juicy piece of gossip or one of my attacks but this time you did right and because George made me aware of it I just wanted you to know.